What is an Operating System and its features?
- 1 Introduction to the Operating System
- 2 working of the operating system
- 3 memory management
- 4 Types of Operating System
- 5 Operating Features
- 6 In short
The operating system is the most important software that runs on the computer. It manages the computer’s memory and processes, as well as the computer’s hardware and software. It allows you to interact with the computer.
If you don’t know what the operating system is, what is the operating system? then it doesn’t matter because when you read this post today you will understand it well.
With this you will also know what are the types of operating system and how it works? You will get the answer to all these questions by reading this post completely.
Friends, there are many parts of the human body that are necessary for survival. But the soul is such a thing that if it is not there, then the human body is of no use. As long as the soul is there, the whole body functions.
Regardless of whether a part works or not, a person lives. In the same way, there is a soul-like thing in the computer that we call the operating system.
You only know what a computer is. It also has many parts. But until this happens, the computer will not work.
Introduction to the Operating System
Operating system is system software which we also call operating system for short. In a way, it’s like a soul in a computer. Without which the computer cannot function at all.
It does all the work between the computer’s hardware and software. This is a kind of interface between the hardware and the users, that is, between us, which connects us to each other.
To put it this way, there is a foundation on which all software and hardware works. All hardware like keyboard, mouse, printer, and software like MS Office, Photoshop, and Chrome work on all operating systems.
For example, let’s take a house. If there is no land to build a house, then what is the use of having bricks, cement, sand? Now tell me, will you build a house without soil?
Your answer would be no! In the same way, you want to run the computer, you have all the things like mouse, keyboard, printer but the operating system is not installed, so yes, you understood correctly that the computer will not be on.
If you go to the store and get a new computer, install Windows 7 or 10 on it and give it to them. Suppose if you take it home without installing Windows, then you understand that you will have to go to the store again.
Because your computer won’t be on without it.
MS-Word, VLC player are all application software. The software we work on and the software the computer works with is called system software.
The system software here is the operating system itself. Now you must have understood what this is, let’s take more information about it.
working of the operating system
This is why a computer works, but it is also important to know how it works itself. From when the computer is turned on to the time the computer is turned off, how can it handle all this work by itself? This is something to think about. So let’s know what are the functions of the computer, the functions of the computer.
- Memory Management
- Processor Management
- File Management
- Device Management
- Control over System Performance
- Job Account
The process of managing primary memory and secondary memory is called memory management. Primary memory which we know as RAM which is volatile memory. And whatever works in documents, it stays on temporary storage. Main memory consists of several arrays of words or bits, each with its own address. Main memory which is very fast which can be accessed directly from CPU.
When we open any software by double clicking, it should be in memory. Let’s take a quick peek at what else it works for.
- It records each step of the primary memory. Like how much memory is being used and who is using it. Like if we use chrome then how much memory it is consuming as well as music player is running then it will also use some memory of RAM separately. It shows all the information.
- In multi programming, the OS decides which process to give how much memory and when.
- Memory for programs when different programs are started Distributes.
- When a program is closed, it saves the memory back.
In a multithreaded programming environment, the operating system decides which process to use the processor, when to do it and for how long. This function is also called process scheduling. It performs the following activities to manage the process.
- The OS monitors all the tasks of the processor and keeps recording the status of each process.
- The one who runs this task is called the traffic controller.
- It distributes the processor to any process.
- When a process ceases to exist, it takes it back.
You may know that each input and output device comes with a driver to install. Before using all these input or external devices, we need to install the driver.
If you do not install the driver, the computer does not recognize the device. And because of this the device does not even work.
Although drivers had to be installed for almost all devices in the OS until Windows 7, in the latest Windows, drivers have to be installed for very few devices.
This device manages communication through its driver. Let’s see how operating system device management works.
- It tracks all devices. The program used to manage the device is called the I/O controller.
- The OS also decides which process to give to the device, when and for how long. For example, let’s take the Photoshop program. In this, as soon as you click on Print to print the photo, the OS printer which is an output device executes for some time to process it. When the photo is printed, he takes it back to the device.
- Use the device as much as possible in the above example.
- Device when it’s done use. works, then deactivates it and keeps it inactive.
To use the file easily, we create a folder and keep it inside it. This makes it easy for us to create any file by category wise folder and access it anytime. We also call a directory a folder.
Places more folders and files inside the folder. That way, we know what other functions the OS does.
- It tracks every bit of information. Along with this, what is the location of the file, when the file was created, what size it is, which user has created it, it also keeps all the information. The program that does all this process, we call it the file system.
- OS decides who will get the resources.
- distribute the resources among themselves.
- Takes back resources when not in use.
When we use more computers, we wish only we could use. So for this it also gives us security.
We can create users for ourselves and protect them by entering a password. And even if we have more than one user, we can use it separately by creating an individual user for us.
This has the advantage that the system is the same, but we can easily hide, protect and lock our personal data. This operating system gives us all the facilities.
Control over system performance
Sometimes it may have happened to you that you wanted to start a program and after some time it started.
Or you might have tried to archive some of your files and it would take a long time to process. The OS records all these delays or performance delays and also records how long after the system has responded to complete a process.
The OS does a lot of work as well, depending on what the user did until the computer was turned on and off. And it also keeps track of which files have been worked in.
Error Detecting AIDS
Sometimes it happens that software and programs hang while working. And it also happens that due to some error the software stops in the middle. The OS also keeps track of all these errors.
Coordination between other software and users
The OS itself creates coordination between the programming language working inside the computer and the commands and inputs given by the users.
e.g. when we type “aa”, the system understands what we have written according to the (0,1) code. Then processes it and understands the programming language, then understands it and shows it to us through the output device.
The operating platform in the middle for all this performance is the OS.
Types of Operating System
Every day something changes in the world. In the same way, the OS of the computer also keeps on changing. Technology is getting more advanced.
Now such an era has come that scientists have achieved a lot of success even on artificial intelligence.
Now if there is no change in the OS then this is not possible. NASA has now reached Mars. So you can guess from this that the operating system you use at home will be used in rocket science?
No, very advanced OS is used for this which has ultimate features. From this you must have understood that it is not just one type.
There are different types according to its use and need. It is used as needed. So let us know how many types of operating systems are there.
- Batch Operating System
- Network Operating System
- Time-Sharing Operating System Strong>
- Distributed Operating System
- Real-Time Operating System
- Operating system is a set of several software programs that form the basis on which other programs can run.
- In order to install all the software, it is very important to have an operating system. is necessary.
- The operating system controls all the input and output devices connected to the computer.
- It acts as an interface between the user and the hardware. That is, when we input our work with the keyboard and mouse, the operating system controls it and then shows it to us through the output device.
- If we want to keep our data securely, So it also gives us security. For this it also gives us many features.
Guys, now you must have understood very well what this works.
I hope you got all this information. With the change in technology every day, something new is being improved in this too.
Updating it regularly gives us many new features. So friends, how did you like this post today?
Friends, today’s information is very important, if you are studying computer related course and operating system, then it is very important for you to know what is operating system what is operating system.
Along with this, it is also necessary to know how many types of operating systems are there, how many types of operating systems are there.